Friday, October 26, 2012

Irresponsibility

Part of dedicating my life to the education and service of teens is teaching them to be responsible. So far this week, both the football team I coach and the students I teach have shown me the incredible depth of their irresponsibility. Tough love is tough on all parties involved, and neither group is going to be happy with the consequences for their actions.

This can be very frustrating. But then God reminds me that I treat him the exact same way, and change my tune from frustration to patience. Sure there were 33 freshman failing at least 1 class as of 10:37 Wednesday morning. And there might only be 5 groups present their projects to the class today out of 27 total groups. Excuses will fly. Blame will be tossed to and fro. Grades will suffer. Students will learn responsibility.

It is easy to slack off and reward people for doing what is expected of them because doing what is expected is so rare these days. Have a higher standard than that. Don't reward just doing right, reward doing above and beyond right. And do not let less than right be okay.

And hope some day some of them figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment