Monday, May 14, 2012

Free Agency

72 hours ago, I had no idea what my future was going to be or if I would have a high school coaching job by August 1st. But apparently last Friday morning was the beginning of the Coach free agency period, and things have been moving fast and furious since then. The Springtown Porcupines happened to have an opening, so I called their principal Friday morning (who happens to be a lifelong family friend, distant relative, and my Geography teacher) to investigate. In a span of about 15 minutes, I went from no serious job prospects, to one very interested athletic director.

I met and talked with him Friday, and the prospect of working there so close to family and girlfriend, for a family friend, living decently cheap, and coaching with good people is looking really hard to pass up.

9:00 Saturday night rolls around and a coach from a bigger school in my favorite area of Texas calls and further complicates matters. Georgetown is the place. More money and a bigger school and the most beautiful part of the best country in the world is the intrigue. I will go there Wednesday for an interview.

Now all the other people who have given me some "we may have to move some people around" or "maybe we can find you a spot" are telling me to stall and take it easy and give them time to put together an offer. No wonder LeBron made his "The Decision" a 2 hour ESPN special, it is a great feeling to know so many different people want you.

In the last 48 hours I have been in contact in some way with coaches/principals from the following schools:

Springtown
Georgetown
Hallsville
Decatur
Jim Ned
Midlothian
Abilene Christian

Insanity. I am just so glad God made me wash dirty laundry and eat humble pie almost daily for 5 years before he gave me this kind of an opportunity. Because now instead of singing my own praises of my own awesomeness, I am pointing it straight to the source: My parents and my God.

It is a great feeling to be wanted by all these different schools full of great people and great opportunity. But it is an even greater feeling that I know Someone that loved me before I was even born, and has plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future.

This time next week I will have probably made a decision and accepted a job and taken the next step in my life's journey. Whoa. The coolest thing is, God will bless whichever decision I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment